At Callystown NS we are striving to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. With help from our teachers, pupils, parents and the wider community we hope that in 2019 our school will become an official ‘Active School’. As always, when Callystown NS puts our collective minds to something we can achieve big things and we are sure that this will be no different. So with everyone’s help, ideas and support, we expect to be flying the Active School Flag with pride by the end of this school year.
To become an Active School, we will need to focus on a number of key areas.
- Energise the school day and the school year: we will be including ideas such as ‘Run around Europe Challenge’, ‘Just Dance’, ’10@10′, an Active School Week built around our traditional sports day, rainy day lunch activities and plenty of extra-curricular physical activities to boost the energy levels of our pupils.
- Creating stimulating playgrounds: we are fortunate to have lots of room for activities and we are striving to make our playgrounds positive, fun and inspiring environments for all.
- Introduce variety: One size doesn’t fit all! We want to introduce pupils to as many different activities as possible. We have in the past and will continue to invite the local community, sports clubs and different physical activity facilitators to visit our school to give ‘taster’ training sessions to our students. This will mainly take place during Active Schools Week but will happen on other occasions throughout the year.
- Inclusivity: At all times we must ensure that all children can participate in these activities. We will need to focus on the children that are less active and try to find things that will interest them. Lastly we will aim to show the children that adults enjoy physical activity also by organising whole school activities involving teachers, parents and students.
- Finally! Let’s make it fun! We want this to be a positive and fun experience for all.